Monday, December 30, 2013

Automating the Freelance process with free tools

    I hate the task of running a business, so I am always on the search for free tools, like this blog software, and Gmail, and so many others that I use for my day to day business tasks. 

    For my estimates and billing I have been using Wave . Wave has been a great on-line (cloud based) tool that links to my bank accounts and tracks expenses. It comes in real handy at tax time. They even have a section to scan receipts, so it makes it super simple to keep track of business expenses. Just recently Wave added estimates and invoices, so I started using them to generate my estimates and invoices.

   Recently, I had a client that required detailed tracking, of my time, on a large multitask project. I did some research and found an cloud based application called Paymo . It does task tracking as well as estimates and invoices. It comes with a clock that floats on your desktop (MAC and PC), that allows you to enter new tasks and start a timer for that task. There are way more capabilities, but that is it in a nutshell. It tracks the tasks and applies them to projects, which are linked to my clients.

   Paymo is free for one user (perfect for a freelancer). It also supports on-line billing and estimates as well as time tracking report that your clients can see with an on-line link. I am going to adapt Paymo into my current business process. I don't want to stop using Wave because they have the receipt scanning feature, but I will start using Paymo for all my estimates and invoices, as it is much simpler, and more accurate.

   Running your business is one of those necessary evils, that get in the way of the fun stuff ... creating animation. I am always on the search for easier, and cheaper, ways to get the boring day to day paperwork done, so I can spend more time creating art for my clients. I hope this article helps other freelancers streamline their business paperwork and free up time for work or play. 

   Drop me an email if you found this info useful. I do not work for either Wave or Paymo. My opinions are my own, and not solicited.
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment